Monday, November 17, 2008

Basic Supplies

The basic supplies for acrylic painting are relatively inexpensive. Here's a list of the necessities:

canvases: I recommend 16"x20" canvases or 11"x14" canvas boards.

easel: Travel easels are a good choice if space is a concern since they fold and can be easily stored.

bucket: I use a large, utility bucket. When getting ready to paint, I only fill it about 1/3 with water. After rinsing the brush thoroughly, a hit it against the side of the bucket to shake off exces water.

paper towels

acrylic paints: I suggest studio (or artist) quality paint. Student quality paints are slightly less expensive, but they can be inconsistent and dry way too fast. I'll make my color recommendations in the next post.

palette: Foam plates work well, but there are many types of palettes available. I use a palette that simply holds foam plates. It's easy to clean up and provides an excellent mixing surface.

brushes: I suggest a variety of brushes- flat, round, and filbert shapes. A palette knife and a large brush (similar to those used for house painting) are nice to have. I use both regularly. I avoid cheap brushes as they tend to shed hairs while I'm painting. I'd rather pay a little more for good brushes than have to pause and meticulously extract hairs from a painting.

spray varnish: used to protect paintings after they are completely dry

No comments:

Post a Comment